If you’re like me, you dabble in creative pursuits… but only as far as your budget allows.
You enjoy making pretty things… but you don’t have unlimited resources
Honestly… I don’t either.
For all my fellow budget buddies, I’m going to do my best to let you know when I see sales + deals on things you might like.
NEW – Spoonflower Sale!
Well, my friend, you’re in luck! Today through Sunday (April 1), you can snag earth-friendly Eco Canvas and 100% Organic Cotton Sateen Ultra at an extra 10% off!
To get your creative juices flowing, check out these project inspiration ideas.
No matter what you make or what type of fabric or print you use, I believe time spent creating is time well spent. Of course, I would love if you used my patterns, but I am happy to see your projects no matter what designs you use.
NEW Funky Vintage Floral Collection – Now Available!
Speaking of my patterns… I spent this week releasing new designs in Spoonflower and uploading them to RedBubble and Society6. I showed you Boho Baby // Middle Eastern Metallics yesterday, and I have another collection to show you very soon!
Today, I want to give you a quick peek at my Funky Vintage Floral collection.
This collection grew from my Navy Vintage Floral pattern (see it here). This pattern because my first-ever repeat that I designed totally in Photoshop. I still prefer Illustrator, but now I know I can use Photoshop if I need to!
In addition to the busy and energetic original navy pattern, I added a duotone version, a black & white version, a holiday medallion version, and several other coordinating prints. The main navy pattern comes in both a larger and smaller scale.
This collection feels a bit groovy and fancy free. You’ll find tones of olive, pops of apricot, and bursts of salmon along with the original navy blue.
Fun and, of course, funky!
My Next Sewing Project
Since I had to proof these fabric designs in order to sell them, I’ve got samples of each of these fabric patterns at my disposal. I love to wear accessories in my hair, so I’ve decided my next project is to make some headbands for myself!
I’m a beginning sewist at best, so I need easy projects to help me learn. If you’d also like to make some headbands, I found kids’ headbands this tutorial, and it looks like you just make the elastic a little longer for adult heads.
Super wide headbands don’t suit me, so I’ll be reducing the dimensions down to 12″ long by 2″ wide. Math isn’t my best subject, but if I did the calculations correctly, you or I could get 81 headbands from ONE yard of fabric.
Which Sale Fabric to Choose?
If you’d like to take advantage of the Spoonflower sale, you may be wondering which fabric to choose.
I compared my samples of both the Eco Canvas and the Organic Cotton Sateen Ultra. The Sateen feels richer and smoother, but lighter colors don’t print as well. The Eco Canvas is a more rugged and durable fabric, and it probably works better for the other home decor projects like the ones I linked to above.
Expert Tip: Order 42 Designs on ONE Yard of Fabric
For those new to Spoonflower, I want to let you in a BIG secret known in designer circles as Fill a Yard or FAY.
With FAY, you can mix and match fabrics in a single yard. Depending on what fabric you choose, you may select up to 42 designs in a single yard!
Here’s how it works:
- Find or create a collection. You’ll need to have print you want to include in your FAY order in this collection. You can add prints to your collections from multiple designers or upload your own.
- From the collection page, click the Start Designing button. From here, you’ll see your collection on the left and available templates below that, towards the bottom of your screen.
- Select a Fill-a-Yard or Fill-a-Project template. Note that not every fabric can be used for every template. For example, the Organic Cotton Sateen Ultra fabric (one of the sale fabrics) is available in the two designs per yard template, 48 designs in two yards, or the dinner napkin template utilizing up to 12 designs in two yards (you obviously don’t have to actually make dinner napkins, but you can if you’d like!).
- Once you’ve chosen a template, click to add your designs from the collection to the template.
- You may use the designs in more than one template space.
- When you’re finished, add the FAY project to your cart.
- Wait on pins and needles for your gorgeous sampler to arrive!
P.s. – You can also use this FAY option to make a cheater quilt like the one above. Cute, right?!
What Would YOU Make?
I’m dreaming of headbands, but what about you? What’s your next project, in reality or in fantasy-land?
Here’s a fun idea – if you could order absolutely anything from Spoonflower right now, what would it be? I’d love to hear your project dreams and goals in the comments below.
Oh, and if you have any feedback on my Funky Vintage Floral collection, I’m all ears!
Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Using my links helps me keep creating freebies like this one at no extra cost to you.